Sep 06 19:59

so no updates for a while... I put the project up on Steam Greenlight, there is a short new trailer + screenshots there, take a look (i'll be migrating them here also):

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=305638565

Rhe past few months it was a lot of system work and just trying to get things up and running, now I'm getting into more of the content and design/implementation, so it seems like there will be more visual stuff to share.

I've had some requests/questions about shaders, so I'm thinking the first post on a specific topic could be about the general way the project has been getting along with Unity's rendering system and how some of the shaders function.

For now though, that's about it, if you can please share the Greenlight link, it will help with introducing others to the project who might be interested.
Also I want to have direct-download options for people who don't use Steam, so don't worry about it being Steam-only or anything.

Apr 20 13:53

Been in code-refactoring land the past week... building an actual structure to the project. I don't have a code background, so all the early stuff has been thrown together while learning, and it's ended up pretty tangled in weird ways.

Something I knew I had to look into doing proper was finite state machines. I already had code like that working, but it was the most basic thing and growing into insane switch case statements with lots of duplicate code.

I ended up doing some reading and found this great tutorial series on UnityGems:

http://unitygems.com/finite-state-machines-3-final-state-machine-framework/

I rewrote the RELICS terminal/command prompt using that FSM framework and so far it is working unbelievably well... I was skeptical about the tutorial VS what I needed, just because there are so many differing implementations of FSM's and opinions out there.

The RELICS terminal can be thought of as a main menu in some ways, you need to be able to drop into it from wherever you're at and have it reflect what is currently happening... Previously it was all hardcoded and very specific, now it is written in a way that makes it easy to add new programs and commands as needed. I'm guessing it will end up being easier to test and track down bugs as well.

Apr 19 21:16

I've been busy the past week doing a lot of code refactoring, but took a break from it earlier to do some visual/audio stuff.

The Vine to the right is a boot screen test, for when first starting MOBD. Obviously very inspired by splash/boot screens from old systems, especially these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RBE1_labUc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCBYdwbOWV4.

Apr 11 17:46

Heads up, I've added an email subscription link in the navigation bar below.

I will send out updates once or twice a month.

Apr 11 12:59

Earlier this year I was contacted about a potential collaboration, usually I'm hesitant to do stuff like this just because free time had been so tight, but it turned out that MethLab supported a bunch of artists I'd listen to while doing work on MOBD.

http://methlab-agency.com/game/

Check it out at the above link, it features recent & upcoming tracks by Broken Note, Plaster, Woulg, Gore Tech, The Sect, Cause4Concern, 2methyl, VNDL, VAETXH, Machine Code, VHS Head, Valance Drakes, Balkansky, Oyaarss, Kanji Kinetic & Thorpey

It was an awesome little project to do, I was able to experiment with writing some new effects that will work their way into MOBD, along with learning a bit about audio visualization techniques.

Apr 10 19:11

I'm working on Memory of a Broken Dimension full time now.

The project started as something I'd do on the side, late at night, in a hazy state of mind. It was an escape from the daily routines of a FPS level designer working in an increasingly tired AAA game industry.

MOBD became "official" back in June 2011 when I posted a devlog in the TIG Source forums, like how many side projects begin. I was cautious to reveal much about the project early on, but I'd recently discovered the name with a random text generator, and decided to use it as the working title. There was a proof of concept made during LD19, the December 2010 Ludum Dare 48 hour jam. Prior to that, pieces of the project floated around in notes written on junk mail & paper scraps, eventually forming a warped mass of ideas in sketchbooks.

2011 ended with an overdue break from AAA games during multiple layoffs. I was planning to complete a smaller project, PROTEKOR, as a crash course in developing for mobile devices. But I soon joined with a small start-up that had an intriguing game concept. They were using Unity3D, so my new plan was to absorb as much technical knowledge possible, with the intent to apply it to MOBD.

2012 was possibly the most productive year for MOBD. But doing the math, the estimated hours really only amount to some brief months, when translated to a typical 9 to 5 work week. I had increasing opportunities to get word of MOBD out, especially thanks to the communities & work of Lunarcade, Mont Royal Game Society, Santa Ragione and Interactive Visions. Eventually a short playable demo from prior events was released in March 2013. People appeared to actually want to see more of this thing.

2013 had my focus shift entirely onto the day job as we strained ourselves to ship. Seeing months pass by with little to no progress, I started to realize that MOBD would never get finished unless I gave it all my focus. I'd decided that working for someone else could not compare to the thrill, pain & inherent satisfaction of working towards completing my own vision.

Early 2014 I parted ways, started tying up loose ends and preparing to finish Memory of a Broken Dimension.

Now that I've got the site online, I'll be treating it as a devlog, and feeling out a routine for posting updates regularly.

Thank you for the prolonged interest in this project!